Monday, February 04, 2008

Finishing the Job

There is a lot of talk about the Superbowl today throughout our country. There may have been a better Superbowl game, but I haven't seen it. Part of the interest, of course, is because of the Pats failing to complete their bid for a perfect season. It goes to show that we can never give up or assume defeat. No matter how long the odds are against us, we can never give up because we would miss out on the opportunity to do something unbelievable.

The Patriots teach us a lesson as well. The lesson: Finishing strong is all that matters. A person can rack up accolades and awards, acclaim and influence for his/her entire life and then lose it all in one moment of self indulgence. Our application? Finish strong. No matter what your life race looks like; this is good advice. If your life feels like a disappointment to you, take heart because the finish could be a moment of redemption. If you have success and are connected to God, don't quit running until your race is complete.

Paul said it best when he looked back on his life. "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith." 2 Tim. 4:7 (NCV)

Could you say that about your life if it ended today? We all have a race to run, but we won't experience the best of what God has for us if we quit before facing a huge challenge (like 18-0) or if we fail to finish our race with strength (18-1*). Be encouraged today on several fronts. We have a new day, filled with opportunity. We have love that can be experienced. God is still real, and He still cares. Because of all of this, we can run our race with confidence, hope, and purpose.

Run your race well!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I will finish strong and I will fight strong until the end.

I have been fighting a major moral battle. One that has not been easy.

I couldn't sleep last. I was up all night thinking and writing. I have made a decision. I'm not sure if it's right or wrong, but I'm not going to give in to defeat.

I will make it to heaven when I die. My decision will cause me great pain. I don't know where I will end up or how I will get there.

God promised to never give me more than I can handle. I'm going to trust him on this.

Please remember me and my babies in your prayers.